Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A new direction

Choosing to ignore the fact I haven't blogged for over a month, will just pretend like I've been blogging all along ... ahem

Anyways, next week marks the start of a new thing for me. After much procrastination ... along the lines of "I wouldn't be any good at it anyway" "I'll get to that some time" "Do I really want to study again?" ... I've finally sucked up the courage to start studying to become a personal trainer.

So next week I start part time studying for my Cert III and Cert IV. It will involve going to class every Tues and Thurs evenings, and all day Sunday ... for 16 weeks. Not that I'm daunted or anything, I'm sure those 16 weeks will just fly by ...

I'm looking forward to it though, for a couple of reasons.

One .... I haaaate my current job. Every day I get up and drag myself to work. The people there are great, it's just the actual job that does my head in. Basically I work for a big company, and I have a customer which is another big company. So I'm helping two big companies make more money ... meh ... I'm sure that's great for them, but for me it doesn't do much.

Oh, except pay the bills. Ahem, yes, that's quite important. The mortgage is not going to pay itself sadly.

So basically the first reason is that I want a job which I don't hate, a job that I will want to get out of bed for.

Two ... I want to make a difference in people's lives (doesn't that sound corny!). Now, I know how much having a personal trainer has meant to me in my life, and I want to pay that forward. If I can help someone as much as I've been helped, I'll be a happy camper.

This is actually the bigger motivator for me. As an atheist, I don't believe in life after death, so this life is all I've got. I want to make it count for something.

No comments: