Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Shining the light on my excuses

So I’ve been procrastinating about doing my pre season tasks. Today I finally sat down and did Task 2. At first I was just doing the basic excuses ... I’m too tired, I’m too busy .... submitted them but my conscience was nagging me. I wasn’t digging deep enough, I was just phoning it in. Part of that was that this is the 3rd round I’ve done, so I was getting complacent, just writing down old excuses, not really thinking about it. Another part of it was the feeling that this task didn’t really apply to me .... I’m a PT I shouldn’t need to do this task, I’m golden. Except ... I’m not. My nutrition and exercise has fallen in a big hole over the last few months.

Gave myself a mental uppercut and thought .... right, dig deep mate, why have you fallen in the hole, why haven’t you dug yourself out as yet?

And I came up with the following excuses:

- I’ve let my strength and fitness slip too far
- I’m not strong enough mentally, I’m just going to crash and burn halfway through
- I can’t be good for 12 weeks, it’s beyond my capacity

And a big one for me

- I’m never going to be good enough

Self confidence lies at the root of all of these. Doubt in myself, my abilities, my mental strength. This is what I need to turn around this round. My solutions to the excuses are as follows:

- I’m not strong enough mentally, I’m just going to crash and burn halfway through - reach out for support, don’t leave it until too late (I’ve done this in the past, I am not good at asking for help, don’t want people to think I am weak and needy)
- I can’t be good for 12 weeks, it’s beyond my capacity - you stayed off alcohol for 12 weeks bar one night in round1, you can do it again. You are stronger than you give yourself credit for.

So, I draw a line in the sand ... today! I am going to give this round 100%, I will not flinch at doing what is asked of me, and I will dig deep and work on my issues.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Great work Amanda, now you ARE digging deep! You are strong and tough and you are able. You are also supported by goo friends who will gladly pick you up and carry you when you need support. Xxx